Thursday, February 25, 2010

Free Spirit stands for other Other Free Spirits

Tillikum the 22 feet/12,000 lb killer whale killed his trainer at a Sea World show in Orlando. It was the breaking news all day yesterday. People expressed shock and surprise, sadness and anger with as much drama as any average American produces when placed in front of a camera. (Yaaa and we are the emotional ones). News reporters uncovered the "checkered" past of the male Orca which has sired 17 calves over his long career with the Sea world, while the camera showed the clips of the 'beast' in an isolated tank as if he is some criminal awaiting his sentencing.

Now of course it is sad that the trainer lost her life and it is awful that so many people actually witnessed the horrible incident, but I don't understand why the poor Whale is being labeled as some crazy, murderous monster. And I also don't understand the shock that something like this has happened. He is a FISH and that too a Killer whale, a magnificent mammal who has lived most of his life in captivity. He was born in the wild and I bet it is quite an adjustment from swimming in the Icelandic Atlantic Coast to being held in a tank which is probably the size of a bath tub for him. These animals are smart and wonderful creatures and don't get me wrong when I saw them at Sea World it was so amazing but, why are they paying such a high price to provide entertainment for us crazy, self indulgent human beings? And then when they lash out or react, we are shocked and surprised? Perhaps Tilli was just playing and didn't realise how fragile humans are since none of the trainers ever got in the tank with him. Apparently his violent history has caused the authorities to put a special set of procedures for his training. He is not used in waterworks and trainers believe he doesnt know his own strength I'm pretty sure he was not hungry, since the tiny woman was nothing but a lamb chop for Tilli.

I was reading about the incident and read the statement of the Seaworld spokesperson and according to him Tilli was having a great time and he is a great animal and that even though they are not sure how they will proceed with the animal after this incident, they are not going to "put him down". What??? Why would he be put down any way. You drag the poor animal out of the wild, make him do silly tricks every day for the next 20 odd years of his life, keep him in captivity, using him as a mating device (I'm not sure if he disliked that), keeping him isolated from the rest of the whales because of his size and then when he reacts based on whatever natural instinct that he acting on, you put him down? You bet your ass he wont be put down.

According to a marine biologist killer whales in the wild live in family groups, and males stay with their mothers their entire lives. Family members rely on each other for social structure and play, and they cover hundreds of miles of ocean, She also said they do need more space, and situations like that do cause a lot of stress for them, most likely.She said Tillikum had a "flopped fin, something seen in captivity but not much in the wild. How sad is that.

Interestingly, Tillkum is close to one other Whale Taima, who is kind of an outcast herself, having attacked two of her own calves she was put on birth control and separated from other animals except Tillkum. Their child Sumer is the star of the Shamu show in San diego. Wow sounds like a movie, outcast mom and dad and child abused but goes on to become a superstar LOL

Anyway Sea world contends that the animals are useful for research and perhaps for us to get a chance to observe them and what not, but based on what I have read, whales in captivity are not as good of subjects as the ones in the wild. Neither are any of the other animals. But it sure is hell of a way to make billions of dollars.

I think Tillikum should be set free. He is obviously wanting out. God he just reminds me of finding Nemo, only a less PG 13 version of it of course. How awful? He is old enough to retire anyway. They should retire all whales over the age of 15 and release them into the wild just like Keiko - the free willy whale.

I have a free spirit, I love to be outside and have no holds on me. I feel alive. I hate sitting in my office everyday, doing 'work' that does not excite me and frustrates me, but I have to otherwise I will be 'put down'. Given an opportunity I will also grab some of my coworkers from the pony tail and thrash them around a bit. And if it proves fatal, well can you blame me for it :)

FREE TILLIKUM




2 comments:

littlemice said...

Awww....Applaudable blog!!

I also feel sad for Tillikum. He's been blamed for 3 deaths however the other 2 deaths happened coz those people went inside the pool and no one is supposed to go inside the pool. The Sea World trainer is the only one who was dragged into the pool and I so much feel he was playing.

All the people I wanna grab dont have ponies but I'll also do the same. :)

Bugger Blogger said...

Wow...!!!! I just read it... I wish I could grab some ponies too... lol.. ;)