Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The fried egg syndrome

Seattle is experiencing the hottest and more importantly the driest summer of the century. Of course the century is just in its 10th year and with the way the climate is changing most likely the records set this year will be easily broken in the years to come. Nevertheless, it is frigging hellish HOT out there and I'm suffering from the Fried Egg Syndrome. But perhaps it isn't the dry heat that is at the root of this syndrome. Perhaps it is due to my impending unemployment and homelessness or the fact that the roommate wont agree to my parents staying at my place during their visit, despite the fact that she is never at home (I last saw her in April) or the fact that I cant find a place to keep my dearest family who plan to visit me in August, or my little cousin getting harassed by her jackass husband, or my seemingly useless workouts (the weight loss is progressing at snails pace...and no I am not digesting crap). Or maybe it is the heat after all. My place has no air-conditioning and the temperature keeps in the late 80s up until midnight. My room faces east and the freeway, absorbing the heat from the entire day and not allowing me to keep my window open through the night Last night I plugged in cotton balls in my ears to silence the freeway noise just so I can keep the window open.

Whatever maybe the reason, my brain seems ready to melt out of my ears. This reminds me of my visits to Multan at various occasions. Multan is a city in Pakistani Punjab, situated near the Cholistan Desert. It is a wonderful place of cultural, historic and spiritual importance, but none of this greatness can minimize the fact that the place is HELL April through October. It is soooo hot, averaging anywhere between 50 - 55 Celsius (Seattleites that's between 120 - 130 Fahrenheit). You cant eat, you cant breath. It is like being in a damn sauna. I remember it so clearly. I also remember every time I went there I prayed more regularly and tried to be a good Muslim, since it was so much like burning in hell for eternity. Tauba Tauba.

By now I have no idea where this post is going. What was I trying to say....see what I mean about the the syndrome. Oh whatever, its not like i have a gaggle of loyal readers following this blog.

The point maybe is that I wish I was in a tropical place, where temperatures remained moderate (anywhere between 70 - 80 F/20 - 28 C) throughout the year, I had a place of my own where people could visit and stay with me freely, my cousin could go back being single and come to the US to study, I had a dream job in a heavily unionized company to give me eternal job security and job satisfaction and I was eternally in the best shape of my life, without having to work at it like a dog. Sighhh if only we could have our tiny little dreams and wishes come true ;-).

1 comment:

littlemice said...

:) The picture is so cute!